Vote It Up: Book Blip

January 9, 2010

Responsibilityuns

Did you ever see that Onion cover story (from at least 10 years back), "Funyuns Still Outselling Responsibilityuns"?  So true, so true.  The latest Onion headline hits home along the same lines: "Man Gets Life In Order For 36 Minutes."  Today, I took the afternoon (thank you, dear husband) to look over my MFA application and begin filling out the paperwork.  I also made a list of things I need to do before sending the application package.  I also just balanced my checkbook for the first time in probably 8 years.  I need a bag of Funyuns.

I'm slightly daunted by the grad application essay.  I've written the two required essays, even rewrote one completely, but I'm dissatisfied with the results of the Why-the-hell-are-you-applying-for-this-degree? essay.  Both drafts.  I meet with a friend, former workshop director, published writer and grad school recommender this week to discuss this onerous essay.  Humble.  That's how I feel.

So, in light of being responsible, I picked Cleaving back up again when I reached an impasse with university forms.  I am determined to finish it by Monday and continue on my merry way to Committed. More to come on my utter annoyance with Julie Powell's second memoir.  In the mean time, here are a few other memoirs I'm considering:  Jill Kerr Conway's Road to Coorain (I've owned this one for 15 years and still haven't read it, but it looks so good) and Shalom Auslander's Foreskin's Lament (because, how could I NOT read this?).  Once I have my definitive list, I will post it in all of it's glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment