Vote It Up: Book Blip

March 22, 2010

Symbolic logic

I love trick endings and Dan Savage tricked me but good!  I won't spoil it for you because you WILL read this book (and you will love it)!

The wisdom of his 6 year-old floors me: Savage and Terry debate the whole wedding idea up to the end of the book.  In a cheap jewelry store in Chinatown they consider last-minute rings (they're having an "anniversary-party-pretending-to-be-a-wedding-reception"but think about driving to Canada to actually get married).  Savage asks his son for jewelry advice.  Six-year-old DJ is already a metal-head who owns an Iron Maiden lunchbox, so naturally he gravitates towards the skull rings.  His rationale cannot be faulted; he tells his dads that they plan to be together until they die, so the skulls would remind them of this.  A matrimonial memento mori.  I love alliteration, I love this logic, and I may need to switch out our wedding bands for a couple of cheap skull rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment