Vote It Up: Book Blip

April 1, 2010

Setting sail (oh,please make me stop with the sea metaphors)

Progress!  I have a.) mailed my old passport off along with $75 and some terrible new pictures so that I can receive my new passport in time to fly to Argentina, and b.) ordered all of my reading materials for my first MFA residency (all on Amazon; all used; total=$34.  Whoohoo!).  All of this is to say, I'm going to Buenos Aires to study creative non-fiction at the end of June and now I finally believe I'm doing it.

Progress again.  I'm 80 pages into Pearl In A Storm.  Slow going, much like Tori's row at the beginning.  That's not to say it's slow reading; it's action-packed with sea life, storms, injuries, and tormenting memories.  I'm just now committing to reading the book.  It's good.  It's odd, much like Tori.  She's funny, but not Dan Savage funny.  She's funny in a quoting Herman Melville and John Adams way.  The woman is Smart. Her symbolism isn't heavy-handed and self-congratulatory like one Julie Powell, but rather thoughtful, honest, not overly-clever so that it's smug, but sincere.  She is Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird and her brother is both Boo Radley and Tom Robinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment